Essential management skills
Available in-house UK-wide
A complete introduction to best-practice management, with modules examining motivation, performance management, team development, coaching skills and much more. Content can be adapted to the specific needs of your group or sector.
Two day course,
adapted to your group's needs and delivered at your offices
About the course
For any manager – team leader, supervisor or corporate leader – the central challenge is to harness the skills and energy of others to the aims of the organisation. At every level of seniority, effective management is a key component in an organisation’s long-term success.
The best managers are able to get the maximum possible effort from their team, whilst maintaining happy working relationships and a sense of shared purpose. But achieving this balance is not easy. Even the most talented natural leaders need to develop an understanding of a wide range of skills, from identifying individuals’ key strengths to how to manage under-performance.
The two day Essential Management Skills Course is all about providing delegates with the confidence, knowledge and techniques to be more effective leaders and managers. It focuses on how to build team cohesion, get the balance of talents right, and build a happy, motivated team. There is also an important opportunity to develop delegates awareness of their own leadership style, and what this means for how they are perceived by others.
CMI recognised course
The Essential Management Skills course is recognised by the CMI.
Delegates receive a CMI certificate, as well as a year’s membership, including access to a wealth of online resources such as videos, document templates, an online library and much more to help them continue their professional development.
By the end of this course, delegates will learn to:
- Identify their own personal leadership style and understand its impacts on their team
- Understand and utilise the ‘management cycle’
- Understand the value of different roles and personalitites within their team
- Identify and address missing skills in their team
- Improve individual performance through coaching
- Use delegation to improve motivation and performance
- Use SMART objective setting and evaluation to drive improvements in results
- Use key motivational techniques
- Manage under-performance and conflict
- Develop a shared vision and purpose
- Use influencing skills to improve individual performance
- Recognise and develop talent within their team
- Reward good performance and build morale
- Introductions and learning objectives
- Leadership versus management – what is great management about?
- Action Centred Leadership and task/people style
- Communicating with team members
- The management cycle
- Setting objectives and identifying critical results
- Addressing team skill profile development areas
- The attitude cycle: how to influence your stakeholders
- Understanding your influencing style
- Developing a team culture
- Effective feedback techniques
- Personal action planning
- Motivation unpicked
- Managing conflict
- Handling difficult people and conversations
- Building a strategic mindset
- Focus on delivery and clients
- Persuasive communications and presentation skills
- Competitive exercise to practise management skills
- Final personal action plan
This course is ideal for current managers or team leaders, or those soon to be taking on this role. It assumes no previous management skills training.
“This course was unlike any other I have been on and it has been nothing short of transformational for me.”
Scientist, British Antarctic Survey
“[The trainer’s] experience is invaluable and her communication and delivery are second to none. She made things very clear and made sure everybody understood and participated.”
Delegate, Entrepreneur’s Circle
“Extremely engaging and enjoyable… I have learnt things that I can apply straight away.”
Director, Country Land and Business Association
“A great experience. I have taken a lot out of these two days.”
Finance Manager, Insight Certification
“This has provided me with the confidence I have been lacking for some time.”
Senior Office, University of Wales
“Very enjoyable and motivating. Will put into practice with my team.”
Delegate, Westminster City Council
Additional learning resources
We understand that your professional development doesn’t end when you walk out of the classroom. The time you’ve put in will only make a real impact if your learning is carried into the way you work. That’s why we offer post-course support in implementing your new skills, for as long as required. Your trainer is available to discuss problems, provide advice or offer feedback until you feel confident on your own.
This course also includes access to an ‘e-learning pinboard’, a password protected webpage where your trainer has posted articles, videos, interviews and other useful tools around wellbeing at work for you to draw on for inspiration and ideas going forward.
In-house courses at your offices
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our trainers about how this course could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver the course at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.