assessments & training
How knowing your strengths helps you and your team
The self-knowledge provided by a Gallup StrengthsFinder assessment is invaluable in helping you understand where you can make the most effective contribution at work. But working with your strengths doesn’t just make you more productive, studies have found it will also boost your engagement and satisfaction at work.
As a team manager, understanding the strengths of your colleagues provides you with the key to unlocking their full potential. By ensuring responsibilities are allocated to the best person for the job and that collaborators have the right mix of talents, you can make the very best of those around you and maximise the effectiveness of your team.
“This course was unlike any other I have been on and it has been nothing short of transformational for me… I am noticeably more confident and self-aware since I took part in the course and feel empowered to develop my career in a way that plays to my strengths.”
Dr Rachel Cavanagh, British Antarctic Survey
A measurable impact
Gallup StrengthsFinder has been developed and refined in the light of extensive and rigorous research that shows the importance of strengths-based development for engagement, performance and lower rates of staff turnover.
Can your team afford not to realise these kinds of performance gain?
Increase in engagement
7% – 23%
Increase in performance
8% – 18%
Decrease in attrition
20% – 73%
Above: A Gallup StrenthsFinder Assessment Team Strengths Grid
Understanding the mix of skills in your team can help everyone do a better job. It can also be useful when looking to recruit or develop staff: Which relevant skills are missing in your team?
How does a Gallup StrengthsFinder assessment work?
1. Initial chat
We’ll discuss your team’s background and what you’d like to achieve from using Gallup StrengthsFinder, enabling us to tailor the work we do to your specific needs and objectives.
2. Take the online Gallup StrengthsFinder assessment
Team members take the online Gallup StrengthsFinder assessment to discover their top strengths. They’ll receive reports showing their dominant talents and explaining how to make the most of them, and will also gain access to the Now Discover your Strengths e-book.
As the team’s manger, you can also opt to receive an overall report describing your teams range of strengths, as well as a coaching call to help you understand how to make the most of the mix of talents in your team.
3. Coaching call
The StrengthsFinder assessment is usually followed by individual coaching calls that provides each team member with one-on-one time with our qualified coach. The scope of this call varies depending on your needs and will be agreed between us. The aim of the call is usually to enable team members to:
- Develop their understanding of their top five strengths
- Identify how they use their strengths at work and how they can use them further
- Discuss the ‘shadow side’ (weaknesses) of any of their strengths, how this can cause difficulties for themselves (and others) and how to manage these
- Articulate their shadow sides, and impact of them, to team members and colleagues
- Draw up a plan to actively put their strengths to work
4. Team Strengths Day
For those who want to dig deep into the StrengthsFinder results and help the whole team understand the resources, skills and talents around them, as well as how they can make their best contribution, we strongly recommend a facilitated Team Strengths Day, details of which are below.
“Working with Cambridge Exec’s excellent coach we’ve gained a much greater appreciation of the mix of talents within our project teams. As well as being valuable self-knowledge in itself, this has helped us improve the way we allocate roles and responsibilities to make the most of team members’ strengths. It has also helped us successfully identify and fill ‘strengths gaps’, making for stronger and more well-rounded teams.”
Making it stick: The Team Strengths Day
The Team Strengths Day is an expert facilitated workshop designed to help your team get to know each other’s talents and qualities better, and to identify how you can work together more effectively to deliver shared goals.
The precise aims of the day are determined in consultation with you, but a typical session will include opportunities to:
- Consolidate your team’s understanding of their individual strengths
- Provide an opportunity for everyone to share their top 5 strengths with the rest of the team
- Increase your team’s self-awareness of the similarities and differences in the strengths of other team members
- Discuss how team members can use their top five strengths at work
- Articulate the reasons for similarities and differences in the preferred ways of working / decision-making / energy levels / pace / communicating etc. within the team
- Discuss the negative or ‘shadow side’ of their strengths, and how and when they can cause difficulties for themselves, their team and others
- Identify how to manage their ‘shadow sides’
- Identify where their individual and team strengths fall into the four different categories of: Executing, Influencing and Relationship-building and Thinking – and understand the impact of this
- Plan how individual strengths can work best together in future to achieve shared goals
Find out more about team days
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our other trainers about how a Team Strengths Day could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver this at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
- Which course you are interested in (please mention StrengthsFinder)
- Where the course would take place
- How many delegates will be participating
Just drop us a line or call us on 0845 2260624 with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.
If you would like to learn more about how Gallup StrengthsFinder assessments could work for you, including costs and timescales, please get in touch to speak to one of our specialist consultants.
To get an accurate quote for your team please just drop us an email or call on 0845 2260624 letting us know how many people you would like assessed.