Live virtual training
for managers of remote and hybrid teams
Our innovative leadership training for managers of remote and hybrid teams draws on the best and latest thinking and research as well as our years of practical management and training experience.
Each trainer-led session has been designed to achieve maximum possible impact and engagement, combined with the value, convenience and flexibility of virtual learning.
Virtual training provides an engaging, live training experience that can fit around the working day with minimal disruption. Group sizes and content can be designed to accommodate your delegates’ and organisation’s needs.
About the sessions
For every manager and leader, the central challenge is to harness the skills and energy of others to the aims of the organisation. So at every level, effective management is key to an organisation’s long-term success – particularly during uncertain and challenging times.
Whether managing a single-site, remote or hybrid team, the best managers can get the maximum possible effort from every team member whilst maintaining happy working relationships, wellbeing and a sense of shared purpose. Here, providing structure and feedback, and maintaining excellent communications are vital.
Our Effective Leadership programme helps delegates develop the confidence, knowledge and skills to become more successful managers. They blend traditional leadership skills with tips, tools and technologies to help improve teamwork in dispersed teams, and build an understanding of the challenges faced by team members working in different contexts.
Sessions focus on building team cohesion, maintaining focus and structure, keeping all team members engaged, visible and motivated, and maintaining wellbeing and a sense of shared identity. Every delegate also gets access to additional post-course resources and email coaching support if needed.
How is the training delivered?
These are live and fully interactive training sessions. Just like classroom training they are delivered by an experienced tutor, with plenty of chances to ask questions, participate and discuss experiences.
Using Zoom, Teams, WebEx or Connect, delegates are able to see, hear and interact with the trainer and other participants in real time. The sessions are intensive, and last about 90 minutes, equipping delegates with a raft of instantly implementable techniques and a range of valuable insights and models.
Typical module content
We know that your requirements will depend on your sector, the roles, experience levels and seniority of the delegates, as well as any previous training undertaken. So we will work with you to design a programme that meets your needs head-on, whether that be a single session or a complete leadership programme spanning a range of topics.
Below is an illustration of typical content for a six module programme, although each module described can stand-alone in its own right.
Session 1: Leading remote & hybrid teams
- Our current challenges – whether working remotely/on-site/hybrid
- Recognising your remote team members’ concerns
- Understanding the focus versus motivation challenge for each team member
- Harnessing the power of short-term goals to motivate your team and monitor productivity
- Maintaining communication, collaboration, information parity and relationships across the team
- Sustaining the morale, positivity and purpose across the team
- Using action-centred leadership to manage the task, build the team and support the individual
- Developing a flexible leadership style
- Supporting and maintaining relationships with individual team members
Session 2: Engagement and productivity
- Understanding the business benefits of staff engagement
- Boosting the engagement of remote workers
- Holding effective 1:1s
- Understanding the link between emotional intelligence and effective leadership
- Setting performance-related objectives
- Providing effective feedback
- Increasing ownership and accountability
- Increasing engagement and interaction within remote meetings
- Making the most of technology without being distracted by it
- Using meetings to drive things forward
- Holding productive discussions during virtual meetings
- Identifying problems by listening to what’s not being said
Session 3: Communication skills at work
- Overcoming the challenges of communicating remotely
- Conveying messages clearly, concisely and effectively
- Flexing your communication style depending on who you’re communicating with
- Identifying the challenges of communicating remotely
- Using the Shannon and Weaver model of communication, including the feedback loop to check understanding
- Choosing the most appropriate technology for communicating when working in a remote / hybrid team
- The difference between effective and efficient communication when remote working
- The role of words, tone and body language when communicating
- Learning a range of advanced rapport-building techniques
Session 4: Influence and impact
- Identifying your natural influencing style and how to adapt it when communicating with people with different styles (questionnaire completed before course)
- Describe how your default influencing style helps and hinders your virtual relationships
- Flex your influencing style to increase impact
- Increasing your impact in virtual calls
- Using advanced rapport building techniques
- Understanding other people’s motivators
- Using WIIFM to gain and keep people’s attention
Networking in a virtual world
- Developing an influencing strategy for your stakeholders
Session 5: Promoting team wellbeing
- Understanding and noticing the wellbeing challenges of remote working
- Feeling confident raising concerns with an employee about their wellbeing or mental health
- Techniques to support emotional wellbeing and mental health in yourself and your team
- Managing thought patterns, perception and beliefs positively
- Helping your team’s sense of perspective and pragmatism
- The importance of control to wellbeing, and discover ways to support your team’s sense of control at work and beyond
- Building effective, supportive team relationships
Session 6: Handling challenging situations
- Identifying the key categories of challenging conversations
- Setting expectations and providing evidence
- Managing tricky attitudes and behaviours
- Identifying what presses your buttons during challenging conversations and how it shows?
- Using the GROW model to find effective solutions
- Under the amygdala hijack and understanding why is it harder to think clearly under pressure
- Tips to manage your communication under pressure
- Preparing for your own difficult conversation
Additional learning support
As well as the training itself, delegates’ learning is supported by access to an online portal that includes additional curated resources such as videos, articles, book suggestions and recaps that help cement and build on their training.
We also offer individual email coaching support to anyone who needs help applying their learning for up to six months after completing the programme. Optional follow-up training sessions can also be organised to maintain momentum.
Our trainers are expert practitioners and consultants, with many years of experience delivering impactful training across a broad range of organisations and sectors. All are experienced in virtual as well as classroom delivery.
Sally has years of experience supporting organisations to deliver exceptional service, leadership and communications. She is a qualified coach and is licensed to deliver a wide range of training programmes. Whether through classroom or virtual training, Sally's energy, knowledge and experience have a lasting impact on those she teaches.
A highly experienced trainer, coach and consultant with a commercial background in product development, Kate has worked with clients in the UK, Europe and US to develop and deliver classroom and virtual professional skills programmes.
Joanna developed her vast knowledge over a long career as an academic and senior leader in industry. As a consultant she has worked with some of the world’s biggest companies, helping develop the professional and leadership skills of people ranging from new starters to CEOs.
If you have a group of managers who could benefit from our leadership skills virtual training sessions we can work with you to adapt the content to your needs and can deliver the programme to a schedule that suits you.
Participants can join a session from the office or from home, and can take part in their own teams or departments, or with a mixture of colleagues from across your organisation.
Fees depend on the number of participants and the extent of design work you require. Group sizes can go up to 15 for highly interactive sessions, and up to 50 for a more trainer-led approach.
Please contact us to find out more and to obtain a quote.
Cambridge Exec is a boutique learning consultancy made up of a select team of specialists in workplace wellbeing, communications and people-oriented leadership and management. We deliver training and coaching, and conduct research and analysis that supports your people-centred workplace culture.
For over fifteen years we’ve been helping organisations ranging from small startups to international brands to build their people’s capacities, enhance wellbeing and boost engagement and productivity at work.