Coaching skills for managers
Virtual and classroom delivery available
Coaching is a key management skill, helping empower and guide team members to develop in their roles and achieve their potential. The Coaching Skills for Managers workshop equips managers with the skills and confidence to use coaching successfully.
Adapted to your group's needs and delivered at your offices or as live virtual training
About the course
[one_half padding=”0 20px 0 0″]
Teams naturally perform at their best when every member puts in a strong individual contribution, and great individual performances come from those who feel supported, valued and positive about their role. Weak performance and low morale, on the other hand, can easily set in when team members lack individual guidance or feel their interests are being ignored. What’s more, even a single demotivated member can undermine the success of the whole team.
Coaching is perhaps the most powerful tool managers have for maintaining performance, commitment and positivity within their teams. Managers who know how to coach take time to listen to team members’ needs, provide guidance and tools to support individual improvement and know how to motivate and recognise success. It is also effective when handling conflict, supporting someone who is struggling or having a difficult time and ensuring goals are met.
[/one_half][one_half_last padding=”0 0 0 20px”]
However, coaching isn’t always straightforward. Every personality is unique and will respond best to a different set of coaching techniques. Different members of staff present different challenges. So for the manager, having the right knowledge and skills to make the most of each session is vital.
This comprehensive two-day course teaches a range of models, tools and techniques for coaching. It includes practical sessions with feedback from our experienced coach to enable delegates to develop their skills and confidence. They’ll learn how their natural coaching style impacts on others, and build on this knowledge to improve the impact of your coaching sessions. Delegates will leave feeling confident and ready to use their new skills to make a positive impact on their team or coachees as soon as they return to the office.
Key details: Coaching Skills for Managers Course
[restabs alignment=”osc-tabs-left” responsive=”false” tabcolor=”#c9c9c9″ tabheadcolor=”#000000″ seltabcolor=”#e96656″ seltabheadcolor=”#000000″]
[restab title=”Learning outcomes” active=”active”]
By the end of this course, delegates will learn to:
- Use essential coaching and questioning skills
- Use goals and action plans during coaching
- Apply a range of models when coaching
- Overcome barriers and resistance during coaching
- Set boundaries and use contracts in coaching
- Coach with greater confidence and success
- Act as a coach within their organisation for staff or for colleague
- What is the purpose of workplace coaching?
- Behaviours and characteristics of a coach
- Competencies of a workplace coach
- The role of coaching in building emotional intelligence and self-awareness
2. Communication skills
- Words, tone, body language
- A range of questioning skills for coaching
- Building rapport
- Skills practice and feedback
3. Coaching models and practice
- The GROW model
- Building your own bank of coaching questions
- Diagnostic tools and psychometric models to support coaching
- Further skills practice and feedback
4. Setting goals and feedback
- Preparing for coaching
- Feedback models
- Setting well-defined goals
- Overcoming defences
- Challenging skills
- Skills practice and feedback
5. Structure of coaching
- Opening and closing a coaching session
- The coaching cycle
- Record keeping
6. Ethics and boundaries in coaching
- Contracting in coaching
- Coaching supervision
- Self-management as a coach
- ICF core competencies of coaching
- Reflecting on own strengths and weaknesses as a coach
7. Coaching within a business
- Barriers to coaching
- Evaluating coaching
- Skills practice and feedback
[restab title=”Target audience”]
The course is ideal for anyone who manages other people or whose role involves being an internal coach to other employees.
“Wonderful day. Filled me with positive energy and feeling very motivated at a much needed time.”
Delegate, John Lewis Partnership
“Great learning experience, but more importantly, I feel I can use what I’ve learnt in everyday life – work, home and personal.”
Marketing Manager, Life Fitness
“Very engaging and interactive. [The trainer] was superb.”
Director, Advertising Standards Agency
“I am noticeably more confident and self-aware since I took part in the course and feel empowered to develop my career in a way that plays to my strengths.”
Scientist, British Antarctic Survey
“I learnt a lot from the day. Lots of ideas to return to the office with. Very much enjoyed the course and the fantastically knowledgeable trainer.”
Delegate, Iris Accountancy Solutions
Additional learning resources
We understand that your professional development doesn’t end when you walk out of the classroom. The time you’ve put in will only make a real impact if your learning is carried into the way you work. That’s why we offer post-course support in implementing your new skills, for as long as required. Your trainer is available to discuss problems, provide advice or offer feedback until you feel confident on your own.
This course also includes access to an ‘e-learning pinboard’, a password protected webpage where your trainer has posted articles, videos, interviews and other useful tools around the topic for you to draw on for inspiration and ideas going forward.
Bespoke virtual & classroom workshops
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our trainers about how the Coaching Skills for Managers course could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver the course at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
This course can be delivered for your group by our expert facilitators at your offices or as a virtual classroom live over the internet.
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place (or if virtual)
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.