Essential management and leadership
Virtual and classroom delivery available
A complete introduction to best-practice management, with modules examining motivation, performance management, team development, coaching skills and much more. Content can be adapted to the specific needs of your group or sector.
Adapted to your group's needs and delivered at your offices or as live virtual training
About the course
[one_half padding=”0 20px 0 0″]
For any manager, team leader or supervisor the central challenge is to harness the skills and energy of others to the aims of the organisation. At every level, effective management is a key component in an organisation’s long-term success.
The best managers can get the maximum possible effort from their team whilst maintaining happy working relationships, wellbeing and a sense of shared purpose. But achieving this balance is not easy. Even the most talented natural leaders need to develop an understanding of a wide range of skills, from identifying and developing individuals’ key strengths to how to set motivating objectives and manage under-performance.
[/one_half][one_half_last padding=”0 0 0 20px”]
The Essential Management & Leadership Course is all about providing delegates with the confidence, knowledge and skills to be more effective leaders and managers. It focuses on how to build team cohesion, get the balance of talents right, and build an engaged, happy and motivated team. There is also an important opportunity to develop delegates awareness of their own leadership style, and what this means for how they are perceived by others.
[restabs alignment=”osc-tabs-left” responsive=”false” tabcolor=”#c9c9c9″ tabheadcolor=”#000000″ seltabcolor=”#e96656″ seltabheadcolor=”#000000″]
[restab title=”Learning outcomes” active=”active”]
This course covers three main areas of management and leadership:
- Getting the Best from People: – Motivating your team, and identifying and addressing the missing skills in your team, and recognising and developing talent in your team
- Communication and Influence: – understanding how to influence both upwards, and downwards
- Managing performance and challenging conversations: – agreeing performance targets and managing performance issues and tricky attitudes with confidence.
By the end of this course, delegates will learn to:
- Identify their own personal leadership style and understand its impacts on their team
- Understand and utilise the ‘management cycle’
- Understand the value of different roles and personalitites within their team
- Identify and address missing skills in their team
- Improve individual performance through coaching
- Use delegation to improve motivation and performance
- Use SMART objective setting and evaluation to drive improvements in results
- Use key motivational techniques
- Manage under-performance and conflict
- Develop a shared vision and purpose
- Use influencing skills to improve individual performance
- Recognise and develop talent within their team
- Reward good performance and build morale
- Action-centred leadership – managing the task, the team and the individual
- What sort of leader are you? Questionnaire completed
- Identify the impact of different leadership styles on team performance and motivation
- Developing a flexible leadership style
- Managing the team, whilst being part of the team
- Delegating to develop staff
- What are the priorities and deliverables?
- Setting SMART objectives and tasks
- Building a strategic mindset – where do we need to get to and how do we get there?
- The four core areas and 12 aspects of Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- The link between EI and effective leadership
- Ways to increase our EI
- Completion of questionnaire
- Overview of the four key influencing styles – Driver, Analytical, Expressive and Amiable
- How can we influence more effectively?
Developing a team culture
- How do teams develop their culture? Overview of Tuckman model
- What culture defines your team?
- Understanding team strengths
- Maximising the strengths and managing the gaps in teams
- Techniques to improve performance and motivation and develop talent at work
- What do we mean by motivation and engagement? (Group activities)
- Why do they matter? What are the business benefits? (Research shown)
- Ways to increase engagement and motivation at work (Individual and group activities)
- What gets in the way of effective communication at work?
- Communication Quiz – how can we ensure our ‘messages’ are understood?
- Improving communication as a means of reducing conflict and increasing effectiveness
- The role of words, tone and body language
- Persuasive communications and presentation skills
- Set clear expectation for staff
- Gather evidence to measure people’s performance and behaviour
- Manage people with a ‘poor attitude’
- The GROW model to help staff make their own decisions, solve their own problems and use their initiative more
- Follow through on performance-related conversations
- Action planning on own performance-related conversation to build confidence
- Recognise what presses your buttons and how to respond when this happens
- The Amygdala hijack – why is it harder to think clearly under pressure?
- Recognise the difference between ‘intention’ and ‘behaviour’
- Manage own behaviours when under pressure
- Five different communication styles and when each one works best
- Includes planning, organising, motivating, instructing, feedback, strategy and vision – and having fun!
[restab title=”Target audience”]
This course is ideal for current managers or team leaders, or those soon to be taking on this role. It assumes no previous management skills training.
“This course was unlike any other I have been on and it has been nothing short of transformational for me.”
Scientist, British Antarctic Survey
“[The trainer’s] experience is invaluable and her communication and delivery are second to none. She made things very clear and made sure everybody understood and participated.”
Delegate, Entrepreneur’s Circle
“Extremely engaging and enjoyable… I have learnt things that I can apply straight away.”
Director, Country Land and Business Association
“A great experience. I have taken a lot out of these two days.”
Finance Manager, Insight Certification
“This has provided me with the confidence I have been lacking for some time.”
Senior Office, University of Wales
“Very enjoyable and motivating. Will put into practice with my team.”
Delegate, Westminster City Council
Additional learning resources
We understand that your professional development doesn’t end when you walk out of the classroom. The time you’ve put in will only make a real impact if your learning is carried into the way you work. That’s why we offer post-course support in implementing your new skills, for as long as required. Your trainer is available to discuss problems, provide advice or offer feedback until you feel confident on your own.
This course also includes access to an ‘e-learning pinboard’, a password protected webpage where your trainer has posted articles, videos, interviews and other useful tools around the topic for you to draw on for inspiration and ideas going forward.
Bespoke virtual & classroom workshops
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our trainers about how the Coaching Skills for Managers course could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver the course at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
This course can be delivered for your group by our expert facilitators at your offices or as a virtual classroom live over the internet.
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place (or if virtual)
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.