Available in-house UK-wide
Take control of the impression you make on others by increasing your credibility and authority at work. This course unpicks how our behaviours and communications influence how we are perceived and treated by others, and provides tools and techniques to transform your impact at work.
Adapted to your group's needs and delivered at your offices
About the course
Personal impact at work is all about having the ability to make the positive impressions you choose.
No matter how technically competent or expert you may be, certain professional communications can still sometimes feel difficult.
Whether in your dealings with particular colleagues or business partners or within specific scenarios, it may not always be easy to be assertive and to get your message across clearly.
This programme offers you a chance to reflect upon how and when you struggle to have your desired impact, and to identify how you could take more control of challenging workplace communications to increase your confidence and authority at work.
We will help you to find the best ways to build and maintain your professional credibility, so that your contributions are always taken seriously, and provide you with a raft of techniques to enhance your face-to-face communication skills.
You will be supported in discovering ways to adapt your habitual behaviours so that you can take control of the impression you make on others. From understanding the strengths of your personal style to exploring ways to deliver clear and impactful messages, our day will be shaped around ways to handle the unique challenges faced by the group in their day-to-day work.
You can expect an open, sensitive and interactive atmosphere and plenty of do-able tips and tools to help you to create the impact you want.
By the end of this course, delegates will have learnt:
- What defines ‘Personal Impact’
- How to take more control of the first impressions they create
- Practical ways to sustain effective professional relationships
- How to manage any status gaps appropriately
- Ways to adapt tone and body language to create the impressions they choose
- How and when to be assertive
- Tools and tips to pre-empt workplace conflict
- Authentic ways be their most credible
- Techniques to help them to ‘fake it until you make it’ in order to handle nerves and lack of confidence
- Further options to suit their personal style from our expert trainer
1. Introduction to personal impact
- What do we mean by personal impact?
- First impressions
- Adapting your tone and body language to create the impressions you choose
- The difference between our intention and our behaviour
- Developing self-awareness and emotional intelligence (EQ)
2. Influencing styles (questionnaire completed before the course)
- What is our natural influencing style?
- What are the styles of the people we communicate with / influence?
- Developing a flexible influencing style
3. Communicating assertively
- Five communication styles
- When each works and doesn’t work
- What presses our buttons and how does it show?
- Adopting a professional communication style under pressure
- Tools and techniques to pre-empt workplace conflict
4. Communicating and presenting with impact
- How to present yourself confidently
- Using your voice to create impact
- How to ‘fake it till you make it’
- Delivering clear and impactful messages
5. Other techniques
- Building rapport
- Sustaining personal relationships and networks
- Circle of control
- Techniques to achieve long-lasting success
6. Action planning on own work-based situation
This course is for anyone who feels they lack confidence and presence at work, and need help getting their point-of-view acknowledged and respected.
“Wonderful day. Filled me with positive energy and feeling very motivated at a much needed time.”
Delegate, John Lewis Partnership
“Great learning experience, but more importantly, I feel I can use what I’ve learnt in everyday life – work, home and personal.”
Marketing Manager, Life Fitness
“Very engaging and interactive. [The trainer] was superb.”
Director, Advertising Standards Agency
“I am noticeably more confident and self-aware since I took part in the course and feel empowered to develop my career in a way that plays to my strengths.”
Scientist, British Antarctic Survey
“I learnt a lot from the day. Lots of ideas to return to the office with. Very much enjoyed the course and the fantastically knowledgeable trainer.”
Delegate, Iris Accountancy Solutions
Additional learning resources
We understand that your professional development doesn’t end when you walk out of the classroom. The time you’ve put in will only make a real impact if your learning is carried into the way you work. That’s why we offer post-course support in implementing your new skills, for as long as required. Your trainer is available to discuss problems, provide advice or offer feedback until you feel confident on your own.
In-house courses at your offices
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our trainers about how this course could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver the course at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.