Tools and techniques for managers
Performance reviews offer a vital chance to step back and assess team members’ progress and development needs, to acknowledge their achievements and discuss any concerns.
But they can also be challenging. Addressing sensitive issues and providing feedback, setting the right objectives, and getting to the bottom of problems, can be a worry for many managers.
It is essential then, that those conducting performance reviews have the confidence and tools to conduct them with sensitivity and tact – but also to be assertive and clear. The best review conversations are open and honest but always respectful.
This workshop teaches the skills to carry out performance reviews that result in meaningful and motivating outcomes. Led by an expert trainer, it can be delivered in the classroom or online.
What participants will learn
This intensive session has been designed to have maximum practical impact in a short time. The topics covered include:
1. Introduction to performance reviews
- Why bother with performance reviews?
- Discussing the purpose and importance of performance reviews
- Identifying what makes a good performance reviews for the line manager and staff member
- Exploring the link between performance reviews, emotional intelligence and employee engagement
- Using performance reviews to focus on the team and organisation’s purpose, priorities, values and behaviours
2. Overview of the review and performance development process
- Brief overview of the process
- Understanding the performance development cycle
- Preparing for a performance review
3. Core performance review skills
- Setting specific, measurable and time-bound objectives
- Assessing performance objectively
- Addressing training and development needs
- Active listening, and effective questioning and challenging techniques
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Tackling poor attitude and behaviours
- Keeping the conversation on track
4. Coaching skills for performance reviews
- Making the review ‘person-focused’ rather than just ‘task-focused’
- Having growth conversations
- Negotiating outcomes that work for everyone
- Using the GROW model to enable employees to solve their own problems, think for themselves more and their initiative
- Skills practice using the GROW model (if time allows)
Classroom or virtual delivery
This highly interactive programme can be delivered virtually or as traditional classroom training.
The classroom course is run over a full day, and can be delivered at your offices or a convenient venue. Virtual courses can be run in a range of formats to suit your delegates’ roles and learning requirements.
Whether virtual or classroom, the training is practical, packed with useful tools and tips, and highly engaging. It will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to make an immediate impact on their ability to approach challenging conversations with confidence.
If you have a group of staff who could benefit from the Conducting Performance Reviews course, we can deliver a session for your organisation at a time that suits you.
Participants can join a virtual session from the office or from home, or we can come to you to deliver the training in the classroom.
Fees depend on the number of participants and whether or not you would like the content adapted to address any specific issues relevant to your group.
Please contact us to find out more and to obtain a quote.
Cambridge Exec is a boutique learning consultancy made up of a select team of specialists in workplace wellbeing, communications and people-oriented leadership and management. We deliver training and coaching, and conduct research and analysis that supports your people-centred workplace culture.
For twenty years we’ve been helping organisations ranging from small startups to international brands to build their people’s capacities, enhance wellbeing and boost engagement and productivity at work.