Communication skills at work
Virtual and classroom delivery available
High quality communication is what turns a group of individuals into a cohesive team.This course helps delegates build a suite of communication skills across contexts and media to enhance their effectiveness at work.
Adapted to your group's needs and delivered at your offices or as live virtual training
About the course
Peter Ustinov once described good communication as ‘the art of being understood’. It is, in other words, the art of sharing ideas, plans and feelings accurately with others – something that is essential for successful collaboration and leadership, as well as to maintaining wellbeing in the workplace.
With new technologies, today’s communication takes many forms, and understanding which to use and how to make the most of the opportunities each offers is part of the art of modern communication.
But of course, traditional face-to-face communication presents its own challenges too, with emotion, body language, choice of words and context all playing vital roles in shaping how a message is received and understood.
This course explores workplace communication across a range of contexts, helping delegates to build a toolbox of techniques for communicating clearly and assertively, coping with difficult conversations, using words carefully when writing, and adapting their communication style to particular situations to ensure their messages are clearly understood.
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Identify the difference between effective and efficient communication
- Select the appropriate communication method
- Convey your message clearly, concisely and assertively
- Communicate flexibly, depending on who they’re communicating with
- Understand the role of words, tone and body language
- Recognise how behaviours impact the effectiveness of communication and chose the most appropriate behaviour for the situation
- Communicate effectively under pressure
- Increase your influence when communicating
1. Core communication skills
- Communication Challenge
- The Shannon and Weaver communication model and ensuring your communication is understood not just heard
- Exploring how you wish to portray yourself
- Identifying and overcoming barriers to communication
- WIIFM – gaining the other person’s attention / buy-in
2. Building rapport – creating a productive relationship
- ‘How to talk so people listen, and listen so people talk’
- The role of words, tone and body language
- A range of techniques to build rapport
- The use of questions when communicating
- Responding to what’s not being said
3. Different methods of communication
- The pros and cons of different ways of communicating
- Taking care over written communication – making yourself clear
- Using the telephone effectively including a focus on voice
4. Handling communication under pressure
- Emotional intelligence – being aware of how you react under pressure and being able to modify your behaviour accordingly
- The Amygdala Hijack – what happens in your brain when you’re under pressure
- Identify your own trigger points and how to manage these
- Techniques to remain calm under pressure
- Five communication styles and which ones are used in different situations
- Using and controlling your emotions through words, sounds and presence to create impact
- Handling difficult situations and delivering difficult messages
5. Communication skills for influence
- What is your natural influencing style? (Influencing styles questionnaire to be completed)
- Developing a flexible influencing style to enhance the effectiveness of communication
- Adapting your tone and body language to create the impressions you choose
- The difference between your intention and your behaviour
6. Communicating in Meetings: Using Technology in Senior and Multicultural Environments
- Meetings – getting heard, being taken seriously, taking control, getting a decision
- Responding to others’ ideas – sharing understanding, support and appreciation
- Communicating effectively using different room layouts and technologies, e.g. audioconference, videoconference and Webex
- Engaging with senior and with multicultural audiences (initial suggestions)
Communication skills are universally useful, so this course is suitable for a wide range of audiences. The precise content, tone and level of the delivery can be adapted to suit the needs of those attending.
“Wonderful day. Filled me with positive energy and feeling very motivated at a much needed time.”
Delegate, John Lewis Partnership
“Great learning experience, but more importantly, I feel I can use what I’ve learnt in everyday life – work, home and personal.”
Marketing Manager, Life Fitness
“Very engaging and interactive. [The trainer] was superb.”
Director, Advertising Standards Agency
“I am noticeably more confident and self-aware since I took part in the course and feel empowered to develop my career in a way that plays to my strengths.”
Scientist, British Antarctic Survey
“I learnt a lot from the day. Lots of ideas to return to the office with. Very much enjoyed the course and the fantastically knowledgeable trainer.”
Delegate, Iris Accountancy Solutions
Additional learning resourcesPost-course support We understand that your professional development doesn’t end when you walk out of the classroom. The time you’ve put in will only make a real impact if your learning is carried into the way you work. That’s why we offer post-course support in implementing your new skills, for as long as required. Your trainer is available to discuss problems, provide advice or offer feedback until you feel confident on your own. E-learning package This course also includes access to an ‘e-learning pinboard’, a password protected webpage where your trainer has posted articles, videos, interviews and other useful tools around the topic for you to draw on for inspiration and ideas going forward.
Bespoke virtual & classroom workshops
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our trainers about how the Coaching Skills for Managers course could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver the course at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
This course can be delivered for your group by our expert facilitators at your offices or as a virtual classroom live over the internet.
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.