Management Skills: Intensive
Available in-house UK-wide
A complete management training programme packed into a day. Learn the most useful and powerful skills for managers with minimal time away from the office.
Adapted to your group's needs and delivered at your offices
About the course
[one_half padding=”0 20px 0 0″]
The role of the manager or team leader is to achieve high quality results through the careful management of others. By providing the right mix of direction, focus, motivation and support, great managers can build and maintain a high morale, high performance team that will consistently deliver to its potential.
This intensive one day workshop provides a concise introduction to some of the most important skills of successful management. Delegates will learn about their personal leadership style, how to coach and support team members, how to recognise and reward achievement and how to use the most effective, proven management and communication techniques to motivate their team, manage performance and overcome problems.
[/one_half][one_half_last padding=”0 0 0 20px”]
The workshop is fast moving and highly interactive, with plenty of opportunity to discuss ideas, experiences and issues. Delegates will walk away with a raft of highly practical new tools and techniques that they can apply as soon as they are back at work.
[restabs alignment=”osc-tabs-left” responsive=”false” tabcolor=”#c9c9c9″ tabheadcolor=”#000000″ seltabcolor=”#e96656″ seltabheadcolor=”#000000″]
[restab title=”Learning outcomes” active=”active”]
By the end of the Leading Projects course delegates will learn to:
- Understand their personal management style and how it impacts others
- Adapt their style to suit the circumstances
- Help team members achieve their best through coaching and mentoring
- Use communication skills and techniques to increase their ability to influence others
- Feel more confident addressing difficult issues
- Set, track and measure team and individual objectives
- Provide effective, constructive feedback
- Deal with challenging attitudes
- Motivate team members more effectively
- Understand their communication style and flex it to maximise effectiveness
Every workshop is adapted to the specific needs of the group. However, a typical agenda looks something like this:
1. Introductions and learning objectives
2. Developing a flexible leadership style
- Action-centred leadership – managing the task, the team and the individual
- What sort of leader are you?
- Identify the impact of different leadership styles on team performance and motivation
- Developing a flexible leadership style
- Managing the team, whilst being part of the team
3. Coach and mentor your team to increase staff engagement
- How to build engagement within your team
- Emotional intelligence and its link to leadership effectiveness
- Effective use of questions to encourage your team to think for themselves, solve their own problems and make decisions
- The GROW model
4. Challenging conversations with staff
- Set clear expectation for staff
- Gather evidence to measure people’s performance and behaviour
- Provide objective, effective feedback
- Manage people with a ‘poor attitude’
- Follow through on performance-related conversations
- Manage performance-related conversations with more confidence
5. Communication skills during challenging conversations
- Recognise what presses your buttons and how to respond when this happens
- Manage own behaviours when under pressure
- Recognise the difference between ‘intention’ and ‘behaviour’
- The role of words, tone and body language
- Five different communication styles and when each one works best
6. Personal action planning carried out throughout the session
[restab title=”Target audience”]
This course is ideal for new managers or team leaders, or those who have not had formal management skills training.
“The management development programme developed for us by Cambridge Executive Development has been a big success with both the managers who have attended the programme, and the colleagues they work with in their day-to-day roles… Over a year on from the start of the programme, we are extremely happy with the quality and impact of the training, which is now well into its third cohort of managers. We would happily recommend Cambridge Exec to other companies interested in developing their managers and future business leaders.”
Amanda Touhey, Markel International
“I really enjoyed the whole experience. I learnt so many new things that I can already see a place in my current role to use the methods.”
Accounts Coordinator, Audio Visual Machines
“A course and a trainer I would highly recommend.”
Alexandra Willans, Northern Gas Networks, Head of Learning & Development
“Great approach providing a simple introduction using practical examples that are easy to relate to.”
Delegate, Janssen-Cilag Ltd
“A very Well presented course, full of theory and practical points.”
“We’ve seen a marked improvement in communication as a result of the programme, and our team has become much more aware of the value of building and maintaining relationships to the success of their projects. Overall, the training has provided a fantastic return on investment, and I am delighted to recommend it to others.”
Craig Mills, CEO, Vizzuality
Additional learning resources
We understand that your professional development doesn’t end when you walk out of the classroom. The time you’ve put in will only make a real impact if your learning is carried into the way you work. That’s why we offer post-course support in implementing your new skills, for as long as required. Your trainer is available to discuss problems, provide advice or offer feedback until you feel confident on your own.
This course also includes access to an ‘e-learning pinboard’, a password protected webpage where your trainer has posted articles, videos, interviews and other useful tools around project leadership for you to draw on for inspiration and ideas going forward.
In-house courses at your offices
If you have any questions or if you would like to speak to one of our other trainers about how this course could work for your organisation please get in touch. We can deliver the course at your offices, anywhere in the UK – and beyond.
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.